Thursday, December 22, 2011

Alanis Morissette says struggles with food

Alanis Morissette says struggles with foodCanadian singer Alanis Morisette performs during the first concert on the main stage of the Rock in Rio Madrid music festival in Arganda del Rey, near Madrid, on Friday, June 27, 2008. (AP / Daniel Ochoa de Olza)
CTVNews.ca Staff: Date: 
Friday Nov. 25, 2011 2:14 PM ETCanadian singer Alanis Morissette has revealed in a new blog post she has had troubles with her body image, suggesting she once struggled with an eating disorder.Writing for the website iVillage.com, Morissette describes having had trouble with food and weight, in a post entitled "My Relationship with Food and Fat." 

"Not much upsets me quite like someone making a declarative and derogatory comment about someone's weight when they themselves have never struggled with an eating disorder," the Ottawa-born native begins.She goes on to talk about the pressure that discourages fat and obesity, and the pressure she herself has felt to remain thin.
"I remember being at my most thin one day, feeling like I could barely drag my lethargic body around, only to be met with the most compliments I had ever received," she says.The singer-songwriter adds cryptically: "…my fraught relationship with food and fat has always been a cloaked invitation into a more profound kindness to myself (one I have so often ignored). 

Being kind toward my fragility in the face of a monolithic message of perfectionism and intolerance has not been an easy path."The post isn't clear about whether Morissette has actually ever been treated for an eating disorder or when in her life she experienced these issues.Morissette is perhaps best known for the 1995 blockbuster pop-alternative album "Jagged Little Pill," which remains the highest-selling debut album worldwide. 

She has gone to sell more than 60 million albums worldwide and has won seven Grammy Awards and 12 Juno Awards.Her last record, 2008's "Flavors of Entanglement," hit No. 3 on the Canadian album chart.The singer, who was once engaged to actor Ryan Reynolds, is married to musician Mario "Souleye" Treadway. They have a baby son named Ever Imre.